Chinese Proverbs – Inspirational Words Of Wisdom
The first thing that comes to mind when you think of Chinese proverbs is Fortune cookies. We all love a taste of these cookies and the wisdom that come with them. But did you know that Fortune cookies can trace their origin to Kyoto, Japan? Well, that’s a story for another day.
Today, we are going to discuss Chinese proverbs. The nature of the Chinese dialect lends itself to idioms and proverbs. With just a few characters, the Chinese language can easily convey a complex thought.
Most sayings and proverbs in the Chinese language are hard to trace their origins. Some of them can go all the way back to the Dao De Jing and Yi Jing ancient classic. On top of that, these saying typically relate to specific people or even places in Chinese history. Such proverbs can be a bit hard to understand especially for non-Chinese individuals.
What’s more, translating Chinese sayings to English is not an easy thing. In some cases, you might find that you will not get a similar construct or meaning in English. Therefore, translating such statements can be difficult. All in all, experts were able to interpret some of the Chinese proverbs to English.
So What Is Wisdom And Why Is It So Important?
If you want to be a leader someday, it’s important to grow and gain wisdom. More importantly, wisdom is not something that you will learn in school. I’m sure you agree with me there’s no subject that will practically teach you how to be wise.
But you can use your knowledge in the right way. Some of the reasons why wisdom is so important includes;
- Good Character: I believe having a strong character will help you go through your tough times with ease. With a strong character, you will be able to positively impact the people around you. Most importantly you will be able to culture the wisdom in you.
- Good Judgment: with wisdom, obstacles and challenges will be a simple walk in the park. That’s because you will have developed good judgment. But you should remember that this comes from experience and time. When you have good judgment, you will always solve problems, overcome obstacles, picture better results and keep on moving forward.
It’s a fact that wisdom comes from time and experience. That’s actually the reason why we generally perceive older people to be wiser than everyone else. But that shouldn’t mean that you cannot become wise while you are still young. On the contrary, it only means that you should practice and master your specific art or job.
Wise people will always remember and learn from their past experiences. The most important bit is that you should always move forward. Do not live in your past. Keep striving to make your today better than yesterday and your tomorrow better than today. That’s the only way you will become wiser than your age.
But of course there’s still a lot more to say about being wise and how important it is to your daily routines. Well, I hope these saying translated from the Chinese language will help you develop yourself and give you wisdom. Here’s a list of inspirational words of wisdom from the Chinese language.
Translated Chinese Proverbs Of Wisdom
- “If you don’t do stupid things you won’t end up in tragedy.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A little patience will spoil great plans.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Chinese Proverb
- “If you bow at all, bow low.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A book holds a house of gold.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Talk does not cook rice.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A man who cannot tolerate small misfortunes can never accomplish great things.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid of standing still.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A fall into a ditch makes you wiser.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Water flows in only to flow out.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Happiness is the best cosmetics.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A good name is better than a good face.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Keep the general goal in sight while tackling daily tasks.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Where there is life there is hope.” – Chinese Proverb
- “No man is a perfect man; no gold is sufficiently bare.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Ignorance is bliss.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Disaster comes from careless talk.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Every child born has innate goodness.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Pearls don’t lie on the seashore. If you want one, you must dive for it.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Control your emotions or they will control you.” – Chinese Proverb
- “All things are difficult before they are easy.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A smile will gain you ten more years of life.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Patience is a bitter plant, but its fruit is sweet.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Distant water does not put out a nearby fire.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The more acquaintances you have, the less you know them.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Only one who can swallow an insult is a man.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The person attempting to travel two roads at once will go nowhere.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A single conversation with a wise man is worth a month’s study of books.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Disaster comes from a careless talk.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A candle lights others and consumes itself.” – Chinese Proverb
- “You reap what you sow.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Every step makes a footprint.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Love the house and its crow.” – Chinese Proverb
- “With love, water is enough; without love, food doesn’t satisfy.” – Chinese Proverb
- “A gentleman’s friendship is insipid as water.” – Chinese Proverb
- “In hardship, we see true friendship.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Distance tests a horse’s strength. Time reveals a person’s character.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The temptations to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Silence is a source of great strength.” – Chinese Proverb
- “If you survived a storm, you won’t be bothered by the rain.” – Chinese Proverb
- “When anger rises, think of the consequences.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Giving your son a skill is better giving him one thousand pieces of gold.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Even though you have ten thousand fields, you can only eat one measure of rice a day.” – Chinese Proverb
- “What you cannot avoid, welcome.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Every smile makes you a day younger.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Kissing is like drinking salted water. You drink, and your thirst increases.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Continually give, continually gain.” – Chinese Proverb
- “When you drink the water, remember the spring.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The old are the precious gem in the center of the household.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Tiger father begets tiger son” – Chinese Proverb
- “Deep thoughts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Eat less, taste more.” – Chinese Proverb
I’m sure you’ve already figured out that wisdom is not something that comes to you out of the blues. Don’t just lay back on your bed and expect to be wise. Take a chance and experience new things in life and fail. Then pick yourself up and try again but don’t repeat the same mistakes you did the last time. Be happy!
Photo By: Pixabay